I bet I know what you’re thinking…Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and you still have no plans? Now you’re trying to decide whether to ask the geeky but kind of cute IT guy in the office out, just so you could say you have a date. Or scrap the whole idea and do an “anti-Valentine’s Day” party with your girlfriends.
Luckily, those aren’t the only two options out there. There’s always a third option. Have your own day of love and celebrate YOURSELF!
Valentine’s Day is not just for lovers anymore.
Here are 14 great ways to treat yourself like you would your special someone!
- Treat yourself to a spa day – There’s nothing like soaking your feet in warm water for a pedicure or getting the knots worked out of your body during a massage. Spa days are my favorite kind of self-care. It doesn’t have to be expensive either, there are lots of great massage deals around and tons of resources for home spa treatments. Just make sure to get the ambiance right and you’ll be relaxed for hours after.
- Take a day off from taking care of others – You know what I’m talking about here. It’s so engrained to be thinking about everyone else that it’s hard to notice when you even do it. But for one day – or even one hour – just focus on your needs and wants. Ask your hubby to take the kids out for a while so you can take a long luxurious bath without interruptions. Or watch a guilty pleasure show without the constant distractions. Take time just for you, because you are worth it!
- Sleep in a few minutes longer and enjoy the sensations of waking slowly – It’s best to try this on a day when you don’t have to run off to work or get kids ready for school. But on a Saturday or Sunday morning, before you rush out of bed to start your busy weekend, take a few moments to just snuggle in and feel all the sensations of the morning. The warmth of the bed. The faint glow of the sunrise. Maybe even your partner snoring next to you. Just take in and appreciate all that’s happening around you in the moment.
- Give yourself a hug (no, really, do it!) – This is one I got from my yoga practice. Sometimes the instructor asks us to hug ourselves as a stretch. The other day I gave myself a hug during my yoga routine and really felt the self-love course through me. It was like I was saying to myself, “You’re awesome and you can take on any challenge.” There’s nothing like that to give you a boost. So, go ahead and don’t be shy. Give yourself a hug today!
- Get some ice cream, wine and sappy movie (with or without mood lighting) – This can be adapted to any kind of desired date night. Simply choose your favorite beverage, snack and movie and have a blast! For me, I love my sci-fi or fantasy films and always feel much more hopeful about the world after watching them. For added fun, I light candles all over and enjoy the ambiance.
- Get lost in a steamy romance novel – This is another fun one that I highly recommend! I used to balk at authors like Nora Roberts, but now I’m a HUGE fan. Just like with my sci-fi/fantasy love, romance novels give you a break from the “real world” and leave you feeling better afterwards. Sure, they can be a form of escapism. (I may have had a whole year of reading nothing else but Regency era romances, but I’m over that now. More or less.) But sometimes it’s not such a terrible thing to let your mind or heart rest and recharge to fight another day. As long as you don’t run off to Austenland or something. 🙂
- Learn a new fun hobby you’ve been meaning to for a while – This suggestion can be applied during any time of the year really. We all need to stretch our creative muscles sometimes and learn something new. Lately I’ve been experimenting with baking my own bread. Yes, it takes about 3 hours each time, and it’s much simpler to just buy bread at the store. But I’m finding I love the process of letting the dough rise and then shaping it into loaves. Also, it just tastes better! So try something you’ve been thinking about for a while, and see if it’s a hobby worth keeping around.
- Try a new activity like belly dancing or yoga and get back in touch with your body – Another way to build new habits is to try an unusual activity. We all know the gym can get boring and some days you just CAN’T fathom getting out of your warm bed to go for a run. So try something else! Belly dancing is a fantastic workout and you really start to feel yourself more in tune with your body. If you haven’t gotten up the courage to try yoga yet, give that a shot! I highly recommend Yoga with Adriene for anyone. She makes yoga easy, simple and fun!
- Go to your favorite store and pretend you could buy anything you want – then picture it in your life – This suggestion is a more Law of Attraction kind of thing, but also fun, as long as you have the right mindset about it. Go to your favorite stores and window shop for a while. Imagine all the gorgeous clothes you’d buy and the awesome kitchen gadgets you’d have. See them in your life with all five of your senses. And then watch to see if they appear in real life.
- Make your favorite comfort food for no reason (optional if you want to share) – Instead of taking yourself out on the town for V-Day, have a stay at home dinner with all your favorite foods. Get out mom’s chili recipe and grandma’s heavenly cookie recipe and go for it! Have a night of culinary self-care and show yourself some love through food. If you’re willing to share with your loved ones, then the more the merrier! Just be sure you’re enjoying the process and not slaving away in the kitchen for everyone else’s sake.
- Make a list of all the wonderful qualities about yourself – bonus if you post it were you can see it every day – Again, this one can and should be used more often throughout the year. Basically start keeping a list of all your great and amazing qualities! If it’s hard thinking of anything, that’s a sign you need to do this exercise more often. Start with simple things in needed. For instance, I love my nails and hair (both strong and lush). But I also love my laugh and sense of humor. Give it a try and see what you love about yourself!
- Give yourself a compliment every day and look in the mirror while saying it – In line with the previous one, this is also great for building up confidence and self-love. Look in the mirror every day, as you’re getting ready to start the day, and give yourself one compliment. Start simple again. Say, “I love how you made coffee this morning!” Or, “You look great in that new top and are definitely going to rock the presentation today!” Try this for a week and see how your confidence blooms.
- Recapture joyful past times of youth – color, sing and dance, make friendship bracelets, whatever! – Sometimes I look at children and think, “damn, you have it good.” And then
I remember the school drama and my teenage years and thank the goddess I’m over all that. But there’s one thing I miss about being a kid and that’s the process of unbridled creativity! Go ahead and join the adult coloring book bandwagon. I’ve got three coloring books myself! Or go get some thread and dust off your friendship bracelet making-skills. I’m still wearing the one I got last year at adult summer camp! And if you’re really going for it – then go to summer camp and really release your inner child. I bet you won’t be sorry.
- Place your hand over your heart and tell yourself “I love you” at least once every day – bonus for looking in the mirror while doing this – Finally and most importantly, don’t forget this one simple task of building your self-love. It takes only a moment but the results are timeless. Just hold your hands over your heart and tell yourself “I love you.” Looking in the mirror while doing this will add oomph to it and make it more real. Remember what the Dalai Lama said, if you can’t love yourself, you can’t love others (and they can’t love you).
Pick a tip to use this weekend, then come back and let me know how it made you feel to focus on loving yourself!
Looking for a way to connect to the Moon? Check out my 4 steps to New Moon and Full Moon rituals!
Need to set intentions that really end up manifesting your desires? Then use the New Moon Intention Ritual to do just that! Know you need to let go of a lot of old baggage before the good stuff has space to come in to your life. The use the straightforward and vastly uplifting Full Moon Release Ritual to make room for all the new blessings to come!